Resource articles to help you become a great Camp Counselor or Counselor-in-Training
We want our campers to have a great experience at camp. We also want you to have a great experience as a volunteer. Here are some articles and resources to help meet these goals. Please download and read anything that looks helpful to you as you get ready for camp. If you have lots of questions about a specific topic, you may want to print the articles and bring them with you to camp.
Camp Songs, Skits, & Games (fun): Here are some websites with ideas for silly camp songs, skits, and games. These have tons of safe, cheap activities for when you have downtime with the campers
- Ultimate Camp Resource: YouTube Channel or website www.ultimatecampresource.com (check out the Frogger game, we really like that one!)
- Camping Dude games: http://www.campingdude.com/game_search.asp for both indoor and outdoor games. The Zip-Zap game is easy and fun.
- Camping Dude skits: http://www.campingdude.com/skit_search.asp
- Teamwork & Teamplay: http://www.teamworkandteamplay.com . Go to “downloadable activities and information”
- Raccoon Circles: www.raccooncircles.com More games that don’t need much equipment.
- Wilderdom: www.wilderdom.com/games/ Even more games!
The following articles are password protected. If you need a password, please contact us.
How to Be a Great Camp Counselor
- Qualifications of a Good Camp Counselor
- Seven Skills of Highly Effective Counselors
- How to Succeed the First Day and What to Do During Registration Time
- Helpful Tips for Counselors
- Quick Camp Ideas for Counselors
- Creating a Welcome Mat for Campers
- How to Make Campers Feel at Home
- Group Building Exercises
- Games & Activities that Build Community – F.A.S.T.
- Doing Things Together as a Cabin Group
- Building Bunk Group Buddies
- Sacrifices You May Need to Make for Your Campers
- Top 10 Staff Survival Tips
- Summer Survival Guide – 10 Ingredients for a Successful Summer
Games and Activities
Want to learn more about cancer? Visit the University of Utah Drug Information Service RxWeblinks for Oncology. This website has links to many reputable cancer information sites.
Development & Sensitive Issues
- Developmental Characteristics of Campers
- ABC’s of Working with Younger Campers – Meeting their Special Needs
- Behavior Montage
- How to Help Campers and Parents Deal with Homesickness
- Disciplining Campers – Being Fair and Effective
- Discipline is Not a Dirty Word
- Working with Challenging Groups of Girls / Boys
- The Difficult Bunk Meeting
- How to Put a Camper to Bed (and get them to fall asleep)
- Failing Well
- What to Do About Practical Jokes
- Hazing at Camp (and how to prevent it)
- Embarrassing Situations – Preparing Staff for “Other” Wellness Situations
- What to Do if Your Camper Wets the Bed
- Love is in the Air… and in the Trees … and Cabins and Lakes
- Understanding Children’s Grief
- Dimensions of Childhood Grief
Communication & Togetherness, or, More Touchy-Feely Stuff
If you cannot find what you need here, please contact us at 801-631-2742 or using the form below, and we will try to help you find the information you need.